THANK YOU FOR STAYING AT HOME!
I want to thank everyone in Corby & East Northamptonshire for staying at home, protecting our NHS and saving lives.
Our key workers and, in particular, NHS and social care staff continue to do an amazing job on the front line against an invisible enemy. Like you no doubt have, I’ve been joining in every Thursday night at 8pm to applaud them alongside the rest of the nation, and will be doing so again tonight, as we all come together as a community and as a country to say a huge “thank you” to them all. They really are the very best of us.
It’s absolutely right that we support our NHS by continuing to stay at home as much as we can - but this can of course at times be very frustrating, and I know that because I feel it too.
That’s why many organisations around the UK are going above and beyond and bringing their services and attractions directly to us for free.
As such, I wanted to share a collection of ideas and activities with you, to hopefully help keep us busy, learn something new and have fun. Particularly if you’re looking for something to do over the bank holiday weekend, do take a look!
Stay safe and keep well!
With best wishes,
Tom Pursglove MP
Member of Parliament for Corby & East Northamptonshire
Follow these workouts to keep fit while you stay at home
Online PE Classes https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1/videos
One You https://www.nhs.uk/oneyou/for-your-body/move-more/home-workout-videos/
Sport England https://www.sportengland.org/stayinworkout
Tennis at Home https://www.lta.org.uk/play-compete/lta-youth/tennis-at-home/
Take a virtual tour of some world-famous attractions
Go to the zoo...
Chester Zoo has daily virtual tours of different animal enclosures on Facebook Live at: https://www.facebook.com/chesterzoo1/
Go on safari...
Join And Beyond and WildEarth for safari drives at Ngala Private Game Reserve and Djuma Private Game Reserve in South Africa.
You can watch between 8 am and 11 am UK Time and 5.30 pm and 8.30 pm UK Time, here: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndBeyondAfrica
Go to the theatre...
National Theatre Live: Every Thursday at 7 pm tune in for a free visit to the theatre, live-streamed on Youtube at: https://www.youtube.com/user/ntdiscovertheatre
The Globe: Stream Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Winter’s Tale, The Two Noble Kinsmen and The Merry Wives of Windsor from home for free! Each play is available for two weeks on their Youtube channel, here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ShakespearesGlobe
Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals: Watch a full-length musical for free every week. Each new musical is posted on Friday and is available to watch for the whole weekend at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag
Crafts and learning...
National Geographic Kids
Activities and quizzes for younger children at: www.natgeokids.com
Learn languages for free on the web or on the app at: duolingo.com
Red Ted Art
Easy arts and crafts for little ones at: https://www.redtedart.com
Activities with celebrities
- PE with Joe Wicks
- Maths with Carol Vorderman
- Lunch with Jamie Oliver
- Dance with Darcey Bussel
- English with David Walliams
Educational Youtube channels and videos
- Crash Course and Crash Course Kids: You Tube videos on many subjects
- Ted Ed - All sorts of engaging educational videos
- Science Channel: Learn about outer space, leading scientific exploration, new technology, earth science basics and more with science videos and news from Science Channel.
- SciShow Kids: SciShow Kids explores all those curious topics that make us ask "why?"
- Free School: FreeSchool is a safe and friendly place to introduce children to famous art, classical music, children's literature, and natural science in an age-appropriate and child-accessible way.
- Geography Focus: Get to know planet Earth and how mankind interacts with it!
- SciShow: SciShow explores the unexpected. Seven days a week, Hank Green, Michael Aranda, and Olivia Gordon delve into the scientific subjects that defy our expectations and make us even more curious!
- Kids Learning Tube: Kids Learning Tube educates children through music and animation in a fun and unique approach to learning.
- Geeek Gurl Diaries: Programming, computer science, logic and electronics.
- Mike Likes Science: Makes science inspired music videos.
- Science Max: A series that turbocharges all the science experiments you’ve done at home.
- SoulPancake: Joyfully exploring and celebrating the many ways in which we seek connection, love, hope, truth and purpose.
- The Kids Should See This: A wide range of cool educational videos.
- BrainPop: A group of educational websites with over 1,000 short animated movies for students.
- Curiosity Stream: Watch award-winning science, technology, history and nature documentaries, worldwide, on-demand and available on multiple devices.
- Outschool: Offers over 10,000 live, video-enabled classes for young people ages 3 to 18.
We have seen an incredible community response here in Corby & East Northamptonshire to this emergency situation, with thousands of people volunteering their time to help others in so many different ways. To them all, we say a huge ‘thank you’. If you are able, you too can volunteer locally to help with things like collecting shopping, picking up prescriptions and dog walking. More information can be found, here:
I also regularly update the ‘Community Notices’ section on my website that advertises and details many local initiatives, announcements and events, which you can find, here: https://www.votepursglove.co.uk/news.
Find out what to do if you think you have symptoms:
More NHS advice on Coronavirus :