• Northamptonshire Sport is currently running a consultation to gather information about which specific sports people within our communities would be interested in pursuing. If you are from the Hazel Leys or Kingswood areas, or are from Corby more generally, you can take part in this consultation at the following link: https://www.northamptonshiresport.org/doorstepsport.
• If you have children aged 5-17 who would enjoy taking part in a range of sports, The Cube Disability are offering sports classes each Saturday. The sports classes are held at The Benham Sports Centre, Kings Park, Northampton, NN3 6LL. To book your child's space, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• I was pleased to hear about the launch of the Home Instead Corby Friendship Lunch, which is held on the 1st Tuesday of each month, with the first having taken place at the start of November, from 12-2.30pm, at the Sondes Arms, Main Street, Rockingham, LE16 8TG. The venue is fully accessible and has adjacent mobility parking areas. The event offers an excellent wholesome lunch and an interesting afternoon of friendship and fun! You can call 01536 214106 to book your place.
• The latest figures show that more than 31 million people across the UK have received their COVID-19 booster or third jabs, ensuring the vital protection they have secured from their first two doses is maintained over the winter months. So when you get the call, please go for your booster vaccine. Book yours, here: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/coronavirus-booster-vaccine/.
• The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has invested almost £2 billion in arts organisations and heritage sites throughout the pandemic through the Culture Recovery Fund. As part of this, it was great to hear that Deene St Peter’s Church has been awarded funding, as well as others in Corby and East Northamptonshire through the earlier rounds. Well done to all those involved in this latest successful bid!
• It was fantastic to hear that the National Lottery Community Fund has awarded £26,550 to organisations in Corby during the pandemic, including for projects such as the Defence First Youth Society, which aims to provide a safe space for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Thank you to everyone involved in these projects and to the National Lottery and its players for their support in making them happen!
• I am a keen supporter of the many small businesses we have in our area which play such a key role in our local economy. That’s why I was delighted to hear about The Association of Convenience Stores’ ‘Local Shop Report 2021’, which provides key insights into our local economy. I am clear that local businesses and our High Streets are the lifeblood of our communities and will always do everything I can to support them and help this sector grow, particularly given the tough couple of years they have faced through the pandemic. Do shop local whenever and wherever you can, especially in these last few days before Christmas!
If you have anything you would like to be featured next week, please email all the details to email@example.com.
Also, if you have taken any photos of constituency landscapes or landmarks, which could be featured in my ‘Community Notices’ headers, please send them in and I will try to use as many of them as possible (and credit them accordingly!), as a celebration of the fantastic place we live and work in. I know we have many budding photographers in our community and it would be great to showcase their work!