• The latest figures show that more than 10 million people across the UK have received their COVID-19 booster or third jabs, ensuring the vital protection they have secured from their first two doses is maintained over the winter months.
NHS England will be inviting another three million people who will become eligible for their booster next week. More than 13 million invites, including texts, letters and emails, have already been sent to eligible people in England so far asking them to book their booster jabs online through the National Booking Service. The additional letters due to land next week will mean around 16 million invites have been sent in England since the NHS booster programme began.
The national booking service has now also been updated to allow those eligible for a booster vaccine - people aged over 50 and those most at risk of COVID-19 - to pre-book their jab five months after their second dose. So when you get the call, please go for your booster vaccine.
• The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has invested almost £2 billion in arts organisations and heritage sites throughout the pandemic through the Culture Recovery Fund. As part of this, it was great to hear that Deene St Peter’s Church has been awarded funding, as well as others in Corby and East Northamptonshire through the earlier rounds. Well done to all those involved in this latest successful bid!
• It was fantastic to hear that the National Lottery Community Fund has awarded £26,550 to organisations in Corby during the pandemic, including for projects such as the Defence First Youth Society, which aims to provide a safe space for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Thank you to everyone involved in these projects and to the National Lottery and its players for their support in making them happen!
• It was brilliant to hear that Thrapston Town Football Club have made a successful application to the Papa John’s ‘Get on the Pitch’ fund and have been awarded a grant of £1,000 which will be put towards improving the club’s facilities. Great news and good luck for the season!
• A number of people locally have understandably asked me about what support North Northamptonshire Council is providing to assist with the resettlement efforts that are being made nationally with regard to Afghan refugees and which are being coordinated by the UK Government. You can find the latest details, here: https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/news/council-pledges-support-afghan-refugees.
• I am a keen supporter of the many small businesses we have in our area which play such a key role in our local economy. That’s why I was delighted to hear about The Association of Convenience Stores’ ‘Local Shop Report 2021’, which provides key insights into our local economy. I am clear that local businesses and our High Streets are the lifeblood of our communities and will always do everything I can to support them and help this sector grow, particularly given the tough couple of years they have faced through the pandemic. Do shop local whenever and wherever you can!
If you have anything you would like to be featured next week, please email all the details to email@example.com.
Also, if you have taken any photos of constituency landscapes or landmarks, which could be featured in my ‘Community Notices’ headers, please send them in and I will try to use as many of them as possible (and credit them accordingly!), as a celebration of the fantastic place we live and work in. I know we have many budding photographers in our community and it would be great to showcase their work!