• The Royal British Legion has launched new educational Remembrance resources as part of their Centenary year. These explore who, how and why we remember and have been created in partnership with the National Literacy Trust. All key stages are covered and you can find them, here: https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/get-involved/remembrance/teaching-remembrance.
• Vaccines provide the best possible protection against infection and serious disease and so it is vital people come forward for both COVID-19 jabs and their flu vaccines. The COVID-19 booster programme was launched to prolong protection into the winter, and for those aged 12-15 it is so important to come forward for a single dose to reduce transmission in schools and keep pupils in the classroom.
This year will see the country’s biggest flu vaccination programme in our history, with 35 million people eligible for a free vaccine. The country’s leading pharmacies have joined forces to encourage people to come forward and get their free flu vaccine and COVID-19 booster jab when eligible. Alongside independent pharmacists, Boots, Lloyds Pharmacy and Asda – who together have 5,000 pharmacies across the UK – have backed the call for people to get vaccinated for the best possible protection this winter.
People will be invited for the COVID-19 booster jab when it’s their turn - if they have not been contacted within a week of reaching 6 months since their second jab they can call 119 or book online. Those who are eligible for a free flu vaccine can book an appointment through their GP surgery or local pharmacy. When the time comes, make sure you get yours!
• The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has invested almost £2 billion in arts organisations and heritage sites throughout the pandemic through the Culture Recovery Fund. As part of this, it was great to hear that Deene St Peter’s Church has been awarded funding, as well as others in Corby and East Northamptonshire through the earlier rounds. Well done to all those involved in this latest successful bid!
• It was fantastic to hear that the National Lottery Community Fund has awarded £26,550 to organisations in Corby during the pandemic, including for projects such as the Defence First Youth Society, which aims to provide a safe space for young people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Thank you to everyone involved in these projects and to the National Lottery and its players for their support in making them happen!
• It was brilliant to hear that Thrapston Town Football Club have made a successful application to the Papa John’s ‘Get on the Pitch’ fund and have been awarded a grant of £1,000 which will be put towards improving the club’s facilities. Great news and good luck for the season!
• A number of people locally have understandably asked me about what support North Northamptonshire Council is providing to assist with the resettlement efforts that are being made nationally with regard to Afghan refugees and which are being coordinated by the UK Government. You can find the latest details, here: https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/news/council-pledges-support-afghan-refugees.
• I am a keen supporter of the many small businesses we have in our area which play such a key role in our local economy. That’s why I was delighted to hear about The Association of Convenience Stores’ ‘Local Shop Report 2021’, which provides key insights into our local economy. I am clear that local businesses and our High Streets are the lifeblood of our communities and will always do everything I can to support them and help this sector grow, particularly given the tough couple of years they have faced through the pandemic. Do shop local whenever and wherever you can!
• Investment in Corby & East Northamptonshire by the Football Foundation has undoubtedly made a really positive difference to the lives of local people of all ages, helping them to keep active and make friends for life. Given this, it is fantastic news that there is more investment to come in our area and you can find out more, here: https://footballfoundation.org.uk/local-plans.
If you have anything you would like to be featured next week, please email all the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you have taken any photos of constituency landscapes or landmarks, which could be featured in my ‘Community Notices’ headers, please send them in and I will try to use as many of them as possible (and credit them accordingly!), as a celebration of the fantastic place we live and work in. I know we have many budding photographers in our community and it would be great to showcase their work!