• The 3rd October was Silver Sunday, which started 12 years ago as a response to the loneliness and isolation felt by so many of our older citizens. The day celebrates our older people for the far-reaching contributions they have made to society and it is an opportunity for fun and free events which took place across the UK. The impact of the pandemic on older people and in care homes in particular means that Silver Sunday was more important than ever this year, as it was an opportunity to bring communities and generations together. I am really proud to support this day for older people and their carers to feel valued and to have a well-deserved opportunity to relax and enjoy themselves!
• A number of people locally have understandably asked me about what support North Northamptonshire Council is providing to assist with the resettlement efforts that are being made nationally with regard to Afghan refugees and which are being coordinated by the UK Government. You can find the latest details, here: https://www.northnorthants.gov.uk/news/council-pledges-support-afghan-refugees.
• Residents from our area are being encouraged to take part in a public consultation on the Oxford-Cambridge Arc’s long-term development plan, which will be important in shaping the future of where we live. To find out more and to give your views, visit: https://northnorthants.citizenspace.com/oxford-cambridge-arc/have-your-say/.
• I am a keen supporter of the many small businesses we have in our area which play such a key role in our local economy. That’s why I was delighted to hear about The Association of Convenience Stores’ ‘Local Shop Report 2021’, which provides key insights into our local economy. I am clear that local businesses and our High Streets are the lifeblood of our communities and will always do everything I can to support them and help this sector grow, particularly given the tough couple of years they have faced through the pandemic. Do shop local whenever and wherever you can!
• Investment in Corby & East Northamptonshire by the Football Foundation has undoubtedly made a really positive difference to the lives of local people of all ages, helping them to keep active and make friends for life. Given this, it is fantastic news that there is more investment to come in our area and you can find out more, here: https://footballfoundation.org.uk/local-plans.
If you have anything you would like to be featured next week, please email all the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you have taken any photos of constituency landscapes or landmarks, which could be featured in my ‘Community Notices’ headers, please send them in and I will try to use as many of them as possible (and credit them accordingly!), as a celebration of the fantastic place we live and work in. I know we have many budding photographers in our community and it would be great to showcase their work!