- I was really pleased to hear that the Royal Mail is introducing some of its first ever ‘parcel postboxes’ in Corby, which will enable small businesses and residents to post pre-paid parcels as they would a letter. These will be located on Princewood Road, Sallow Road and Saxon Way East – great news for our community and for those who buy and sell online!
- This week (3rd - 9th June), I’m supporting Coaching Week – a time to celebrate the fantastic work coaches do to support their communities with mental and physical well-being. We all know inspiring coaches and as part of this celebration of their work, UK Coaching has launched a #GreatCoachingPledge to help coaches across the nation to best benefit their communities. Are you a coach or know someone who is? Find out more, here: https://www.ukcoaching.org/our-campaigns/coaching-week.
- Small Business Saturday is back on the 7th December 2019 and applications opened on the 1st June to find 100 outstanding small businesses to celebrate in the run up to the main event. Having had the pleasure of visiting so many, I know that Corby & East Northamptonshire is home to numerous fantastic small businesses and it would be great to see their hard work recognised, so if you or anyone you know is involved with a special small business locally, please do consider applying! To find out more and to apply, head over to: https://smallbusinesssaturdayuk.com/small-biz-100.
- The Government have announced a new £62 million fund to breathe new life into historic High Streets across the country. The scheme will give councils, businesses and community groups access to expert advice and investment to regenerate places, bring historic buildings back into use and support historic High Streets to adapt to the challenges they face. The deadline for applications is the 12th July 2019, and you can find out more, here: http://bit.ly/2GSD8hx.
- Northamptonshire County Council is consulting on additional special provision in the county for children and young people with Education, Health and Care Plans. This consultation provides the opportunity to shape the additional provision to be commissioned to ensure there is greater capacity in Northamptonshire to provide children and young people with an Education, Health and Care Plan and access to local specialist provision that meets their needs and supports them to be part of the community in which they live. They are asking for your views on this. The consultation closes at midnight on Sunday 14th July 2019, so do have your say. Information, here: https://northamptonshire.citizenspace.com/.
- Local schools could win £20,000 with Asda’s Plastic Investigators Club! Asda have announced a new poster competition, where primary schools can win up to £20,000 for a sustainability project, designing a poster that spreads awareness of plastic waste and what can be done to help solve it. Entries must be sent in by 5pm on the 24th July – you can enter, here: https://nationalschoolspartnership.com/initiatives/asda/ and find some resources on how to inspire the next generation.
- Singing can have great physical and mental health benefits, so if you’re interested in joining the Corby Male Voice Choir, do phone Steve Jackson, Choir Secretary on 01832 734259, or email stevecorbyMVC@outlook.com. They sing every Thursday in Corby – a great opportunity!
- I have heard about a fantastic group called ‘Encouraging Reading’, which aims to promote any sort of literature, whether that be a well-known title by a well-known author, or a local author, or an up-and-coming author. If you’re interested, you can find out more, here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2254079124855667/.
- Citizens’ Advice are offering help to make a Universal Credit claim and receive the first full payment on time, through their new initiative, ‘Help to Claim’. It is available through their free phone line, web chat, and local Citizens’ Advice services. Call 0800 144 8444, go to https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/helptoclaim, or visit your local office to find out more.
- Homeowners looking to fit solar panels have the opportunity to get paid for the power they supply to the grid with E.ON launching its ‘Solar Reward’ incentive. For more information, visit: https: //www.eonenergy.com/About-eon/media-centre/sun-rising-eon-launches-first-ofits-kind-solar-reward-for-new-solar-customers/.
If you have anything you would like to be featured next week, please email me all the details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also, if you have taken any photos of constituency landscapes or landmarks, which could be featured in my ‘Community Notices’ headers, please send them in and I will try to use as many of them as possible (and credit them accordingly!), as a celebration of the fantastic place we live and work in. I know we have many budding photographers in our community and it would be great to showcase their work!